This year the International Agatha Christie Festival celebrates the life, literature and legacy of Agatha Christie on the 125th anniversary of her birth in Torquay with an exciting mix of literary talks from best-selling crime writers, theatre performances, talks, writers’ workshops, children’s events, cookery demonstrations, film screenings, a birthday garden party, a tea dance and a glamorous ball.
Each day of our nine-day festival has a theme around which the events have been programmed.
The Agatha Christie Festival has been a major event on the English Riviera since 2004. Until now, it has consisted of a variety of separate events over a series of separate venues. 2014 sees the festival enter a transition year – from the Agatha Christie Festival to the International Agatha Christie Festival.
Glamorous literary and murder mystery events will centre on the festival’s new home at Torquay’s historic Torre Abbey, with its spectacular sea-facing setting and intriguing Potent Plants Garden that highlights some of Christie’s deadliest poisons. Already a hit with international visitors, the new Agatha Christie festival format is expected to bring in a whole new wave of crime fiction lovers to the week long event and considerably increase overseas staying visitors on the English Riviera.
Festival-goers will be able to attend readings by crime writing masterminds, meet Mathew Prichard, Agatha Christie’s grandson and see him in conversation with Ben Stephenson, the man responsible for commissioning all drama on the BBC, visit Greenway, Christie’s glorious riverside residence on the River Dart by steam train and boat, walk the Agatha Christie mile, enjoy tea dances and attend many other unique events. Torquay’s sister towns on the beautiful English Riviera: Brixham, Paignton and Babbacombe Bay will also be hosting stylish Agatha Christie themed events.
- Friday 11 September – Festival launch
- Saturday 12 September – Festive Family Fun
- Sunday 13 September – Agatha Christie and the First World War
- Monday 14 September – Miss Marple, Music and Unsolved Mysteries
- Tuesday 15 September – The Birthday and the next 125 years.
- Wednesday 16 September – The Golden Age of Detective Fiction
- Thursday 17 September – International Christie and Adaptations
- Friday 18 September – Agatha Christie and the Theatre
- Saturday 19 September – Agatha for Everyone
- Sunday 20 September – Festival Finale